Sunday, March 28, 2010

Big Questions

So I've been saving money for a while and I have a flexible health savings acct (with up to $2000) that I can sign up for at the beginning of May and can tap into in June. I've heard from many fellow bloggers that most RE seem like they want to get you started right away which means my first full cycle would begin in May (33 days!). I really hope the IUI works on the first try, but I am realistic and understand their are many ladies who have had to make multiple attempts before acheiving a healthy pregnancy So as you can see, I'm struggling with whether I should try right away in May and still invest in the HSA, or wait until I can use the HSA in June for my first insemination. Decisions, Decisions.

So funny, maybe not so funny conversation I had yesterday. As I've said before, all of my close friends and family know that I am starting fertility treatments and have been really supportive. Last year, I started a second job at a restaurant to A) Get to know more people and B) Pay off my debt, buy a new car, and start saving money to have a child. I thought it would be a somewhat wise idea (although now Im not so sure) to slowly let other people at my second job know about my upcomming IUI. Once again everyone who knows has been supportive, but one co-worker i broke the news too blurted out "I've worked with you for a year and never knew you were a lesbian!!" Silly little man. Just because your seeking fertility treatments, doesn't necessarily mean your a lesbian or have chosen the spinster life. After explaining my reasons, he was really sweet and told me I would make a great mom. Thank god for open minded people!!!

At my "real" job, I have not told anyone. Everyone is really nice, but are ultra-christian and I have a fear that I will be fired and ridiculed on the spot. Example of the strictness of our office: A co-worker had a project that was not going well and he screamed "shit". To me, it's not a big deal, whatever, continue with my day. However, that is not how it works here. My bosses wife came running into our cluster of offices and asked us to all pray for his soul. Gotta say, I had to laugh. Seriously? Pray for his soul? He didn't kill a man! So I know I'm not from the bible belt and maybe I just don't get it but can you imagine when I come in 3-6 months pregnant and I state that I got pregnant....on purpose....artificially. Ugh. I have this feeling that I need to make a back up plan just in case, unfortunately jobs in my field are not easy to find.

1 comment:

Hera said...

You have the law on your side as far as the baby thing goes. Unless you work for a company that explicitly states no out-of-wedlock babies, then you'll be fine. I had to laugh at the wife. Quite frankly that is in a crazy zone way above and beyond things I have seen at work.