Friday, August 12, 2011


I had my cerclage put in on wednesday. I got to the hospital at 5:45am and filled out some basic paperwork and then was sent to the pre-op area, a private room with the most comfortable reclining chair known to man. I seriously wanted to take this chair home with me!! The nurses briefly went over the game plan for the day and took me into the bathroom where I changed into a gown, compression hosiery and grippy socks. I also had to use this warm cloth with some stinging soap to wash from my belly down to my lady bits. I sat and watched TV with my HR lady/friend who kept me company while waiting to go back. About 7:45 the anesthesiologist arrived and told me he would prefer not to put me under general anest. but use a spinal instead for the safety of the baby. I'm not afraid of needles but I wasn't really excited to know that a spinal required a minimum of 6 hours in recovery.

At 8am they walked me back to the operating room. I panicked for a split second as I walked into the room but the nursing staff was awesome and kept me entertained. They had me sit on the operating table, hunching my back as the Dr. performed the spinal. It stung a little like a bee sting, then there was pressure and then everything was fine again. As they asked me to lay down, I could already feel my left leg beginning to numb. By the time my legs where put in the stirrups, I could barely feel or move anything below my belly. The procedure took about 30 minutes. The anesthesiologist kept asking if I was ok and then would go back to telling jokes and sharing this wild story about a concert he recently attended. I kept laughing and then my Dr, Dr. B. who was working at the other end of the table would have to tell me to stop laughing because he didn't want to put a stich in the wrong place.

When it was all done and over with they rolled me back onto a gurney and took me to a recovery area hidden behind some curtains. They asked me if I could feel anything and to try to move my toes. It was the oddest thing trying to tell your feet to move and seeing no movement. One of the side affects of the spinal is feeling cold. The nurse was awesome and kept bringing me heated blankets. They wrapped them all over my body and around my head. Around 9:30 they brought me into an actual recovery room. They had to keep checking to make sure I wasn't bleeding too much or had any cramping. Both the cramping and bleeding were incredibly mild. I was so nervous the night before that I only slept for a few hours so I decided my time in recovery would be devoted to catching a few z's. If I wasn't woken every 30 minutes to have a wound check, I was woken by the alarm of my heart rate dropping. The nurse would have to run in and tell me to take a deep breath. I don't know if this a side affect of the surgery or if I might be having a little sleep apne problem. The nurse didn't seem to concerned about it so maybe this is a common problem.

By 10am I could start moving my right leg at my hip socket but still couldn't feel my feet. By noon I could move both legs but couldn't move my toes and I still couldn't feel my pelvic area or my tooshy. By 1pm I was getting antsy to leave so I kind of told a little white lie and said I thought I could feel everything and that I thought I could go to the bathroom (They wont let you leave until you pee). When I stood up, I was like bambi on the frozen pond. It was pretty funny. With a little help, I made it down the hallway to the bathrom. Although I really couldn't feel myself peeing, I got enough out to make the nurse give the thumbs up to go home. By 2pm I tasted freedom and went home with the help of a couple of friends.

I slept for the rest of the afternoon and spent the evening on the couch. I was given instructions that stated bed rest for two days and no driving. I haven't had any cramping since leaving the hospital but my lady bits are a bit sore but it's nothing I can't handle.

While I was gone, my boss got a "come to Jesus moment" provided by our client. They are not happy with our performance or are knowledge of how to run this type of project. This wasn't surprising to me knowing that my manager has been lying consistantly about his skills and knowledge level. I don't think we are in danger of losing the project but if my manager and boss don't snap to it in the next couple of weeks, I can easily see it going in that direction. All I got to say is I was glad I wasn't here for that conversation. I got a watered down version of the talk from my boss. I know it's watered down because one of the staff members of our client told me what was going on and what was said. I think it's humerous that my boss is still trying to tone down the severity of the conversation. It's like he didn't hear what they were saying. Sounds rather familiar to my own situation. Sinking ship, that's all this is. Can I save it? Probably not on my own but then again at this point I don't see why it's worth it anymore. I'm going to start sending out resumes this weekend, lets hope I can get a job that isn't as messed up as this one.

1 comment:

Tiara said...

Glad your surgery went well. Take of yourself.

Good luck with the job hunt.